Monday, November 2, 2009

Wasn't I Just Here?

That was my first thought when I walked into work this morning because it seemed as if I had just left. I have a very average job, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. with an hour lunch break. My hours aren't really flexible (except when there is a special circumstance). To be honest, I don't "love" my job (I don't think many Americans are that lucky). I don't jump out of bed every morning excited to go to work (I'd much rather stay in bed). Don't get me wrong, my job is okay. I have a really good boss and a really short commute (about 10 minutes). But for me my job is just a job, a way to pay the bills so that I have food in my stomach, clothes on back and a roof over my head.

The company I work for is an international company. It has offices in the U.S., Canada and Australia. Americans seem to work a lot more than most everyone else in the world. In Australia standard vacation is four weeks per year (I get two weeks). Public (government) employees receive five weeks of annual leave. And they work 38.5 hours per week. In France the average work week is 35 hours and they get five weeks of paid leave a year. In Denmark (Forbes recently rated Denmark the happiest country in the world) the standard work week is 37 hours and they get a month vacation (30 days).

Maybe I need to move to Denmark. Or I just need a vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment