Thursday, November 19, 2009

On the Couch

There is a local Connecticut magazine that has a regular feature called “On the Couch” which poses the question, “Do you think the furnishings and object in a room reveal much about the homeowner(s)?” Well, I think the answer is yes so here are some of the things I think my home reveals about me (and some of you will probably already know this about me).

My Bed – I love my bed. I got it (and a new headboard) about three weeks ago and that is now where I can usually be found when I’m home. I’ve always had a night stand and it’s always had three things on it: a radio alarm clock, a lamp and books, books and more books. I want to get a new lamp but have you seen the price of lamps lately? And what you can’t see is that there are more books and a few rogue magazines on the floor next to the bed.

My Refrigerator – This reveals the one thing that I collect: refrigerator magnets. But they are not just any magnets; they have to be ones showing places I have visited. So I have everything from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland to the shores of Cancun, Mexico; Blarney Castle in Ireland to the Louver in Paris. And one of the best presents I ever got (thanks Nancy!) is that Underground cookie jar sitting on top.

Fireplace Mantel – The two features I love the most about my apartment is my vaulted ceiling with skylight and my fireplace. I love having a fireplace (a real fireplace that burns real wood). And, as you can see, I also have a fireplace mantel. I knew right away what I would put there. . . photographs. There are photos of me and my sister when we were young, photos of me and my dad and photos of me, my mom and my sister. I also have my two photos of me and Michael Ball (prized possessions – a story for later). The print over the fireplace is one I got at Hobby Lobby of a restaurant in Paris. When I went to Paris 10 years ago I tracked down the restaurant, which was supposed to be rather famous, but it was all closed up. I do have a photo of me standing in front of it though.

So what does your furnishings say about you?

1 comment:

  1. I love your apartment... it's been a while since I've visited. New bed eh??? Nice!

    ReplyDelete