Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Trick or Treat?

Wasn't it always treat? Didn't every house you went to on Halloween have treats? I never once was forced to take the "trick" option (and, lets be honest here, I'd never have the guts to). And the treats were the best part of Halloween. Yes, the costumes were good too but I remember too many Halloweens with a costume (usually a clown or hobo or some combination of both) covered with a winter jacket. My dream costume was to be Snow White but, alas, it never happened. My most memorable costume was a clown with balloons stuck all over me (this, if I recall correctly, was my mother's idea). Problem with this costume was that the first house we went to had rose bushes by the front door. So much for the balloons.


Anyway, back to the candy because it really was all about the candy. Yes, the coveted candy. My parents weren't really strict about the candy; I don't ever remember them inspecting it (although we did throw out homemade things) or taking it from us to dole out at their pleasure (they might have when we were really young).


The first thing my younger sister and I did when we got home was pour out the candy onto the living room floor and divide everything into "good' candy and "not-so-good" candy (because there really isn't any "bad" candy). Obvious "good" candy was anything chocolate. Hershey Miniatures were good (Krackle and Mr. Goodbars were better than Dark Chocolate) but the mini Snickers, Kit Kats, Milky Ways were the jackpot haul (and full size chocolate bars were the motherload!). Then there was the "not-so-good" candy (anything not chocolate). This usually consisted of Tootsie Roll Pops, Candy Corn, Smarties, Life Savers and the least favorite Halloween candy ever: raisins. Once the candy was divided the trading began. My sister and I usually each had one "not-so-good" candy that we liked so that was a fair swap.


We usually got the same amount of candy but my sister would eat hers faster than me so I had to hide my Halloween stash as soon as the trading was over. Younger sisters have a way of going though your things, looking for stuff and that includes Halloween candy. I always did a mental inventory of what I had and if something went missing I know where to go. But now as an adult I understand sugar cravings and I forgive my sister.


You really don't know the value of free chocolate until you're an adult and too old to go trick or treating.

1 comment:

  1. i loved this story, Heather. Brought back lots of fond memories. Believe it or not, I was not a candy person (give me all the cake and cookies in your home, and no one gets hurt...) I would actually find all the candy in my orange, plastic jack-o-lantern when I dug it out of the "Halloween decorations" box, from the year before!

    ReplyDelete