Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Where Have All the Gentlemen Gone?

I have to say, one of the nicest things about being a woman is when a gentleman holds the door open for you. I don’t mean the men you are with (boyfriends, husband who should be doing that for you anyway) but complete strangers. And I don’t mean those guys that walk through the door first and then hold it open behind them waiting for you to catch up. I’m talking about full fledge gentlemen who pick of their pace to get to the door before you and hold it open.

My office building is full of men (or should I say male human species). I know that in my office and the floor I work on (the fourth floor out of eight) the men out number the women. But I can tell if the guy who is walking to the buildings doors at the same time as me will be a gentleman and open the door for me. Most of them are older men (in their 40s or older). Most of the guys in their 30s will do the hold the door open behind them thing. And then there are the guys who don’t even care and let the door close right behind them even though I’m less than two feet away.

Common courtesy, where has it gone?

No comments:

Post a Comment