Saturday, March 31, 2012

Okay, So I Didn't Win

Friday night after work I bought five Mega Million lottery tickets. Yes, I know my chances of winning $640 million with only five tickets was a long shot (I think it was a long shot for pretty much everybody who played), but you can't win if you don't play, right?


So if you've seen the news you know that I didn't win but I admit that for two days I fantasized about all the things I could do with $640 million. I can't even grasp the concept of that much money. I know I wouldn't live extravagantly (only two houses - one on the beach and one in England - and just one or maybe two cars) but it would be nice to never have to worry about paying your bills ever again.


First, I'd pay off mine and my family's debts. I would set us all up so that we would be comfortable for the rest of our lives. And then I'd start giving all that money away, because really, what is the point of saving all that money? You can't take it with you when you die so why not spend it?


And it would be so much fun. I'd give the money to churches, charities, non-profit organizations, schools. I'd go into a restaurant and pay every one's bill. I'd go to a gas station and pay for everyone to fill their tanks with gas. I'd give away college scholarships, help the homeless, make sure food banks were always fully stocked. I'd fund scientists to find a cure for Meniere's.


It looks like three people have won the $640 million. Even after the government gets it's share, that's a lot of money someone could do a lot of good with. I hope they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment