Monday, August 1, 2011

Monday Blues

It takes forever for Friday to come along but Monday seems to come more quickly.

As I sit at my desk and look out my window (yes, I finally have a window) I wonder, “Wasn’t I just here?”

Of course the Monday Blues aren’t so bad if you love your job or whatever you have to do all day. And if that’s the case, consider yourself lucky. I don’t think it’s instilled in you while growing up what it means to go to work to earn money to survive (or work to support somebody who is earning money so you can survive) and that “work” may not be enjoyable, creative, or even interesting. “Work” may be mind-numbingly boring, frustrating and irritating. Nobody tells you that growing up. You are told that if you work hard you can be anything you want to be. I used the think that getting up in the morning and going to work (as oppose to school) would be kind of cool. I also never considered I wouldn’t have a job that I enjoyed. But there are jobs out there that aren’t interesting, aren’t challenging and are mind-numbingly boring but have to be done. And why do we do it? For the paycheck, of course.

Such is life, which is often contemplated on Monday morning when the work week starts all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment