Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Grease is the Word

It was 32 years ago this month when the movie Grease was releases. It’s hard to believe, 32 years!!!! I was nine years old when I saw the movie for the first time (it was probably the first non-Disney movie I ever saw) and then I immediate had to get the album and spend hundred and hundreds of hours over the next several years listening to it. And I still have that album.

I think it was the music that got me. It was fun and a little over my nine year old head (if you remember, there are some racy lyrics in Grease Lightning). While at that age I did have a crush on Shaun Cassidy, I never thought John Travolta was all the special (sorry, John). I never wanted to be Sandy (although I did like her hair) and I thought, even at nine, the Pink Ladies were too sophisticated to be high school girls.

But I loved the music. I sang the songs with my sister and my friends, knew every word. And who at my age didn’t? It was a pre-Generation X movie, way before John Hughes came along with Pretty in Pink, The Breakfast Club or Ferris Bueller’s Day Off.

And, if you hadn’t heard, next month Grease is being re-released as a “sing-a-long” movie. If you don’t know what that means, it’s when the words to the songs are shown on the screen during the songs so that the audience can sing-a-long. And I don’t think I’m going to miss that, a chance to have a fun time and reminisce.

Here’s a link to the trailer if you’re interested:
http://www.fandango.com/greasesingalong2010movietrailer/1_943537/121299

No comments:

Post a Comment