Saturday, October 8, 2011

(Trying to) Keep It Green

Recycling has been around forever, really. But back in the 80s there was a renewal of aluminum recycling. Growing up in my teens we recycled newspapers and aluminium cans (and, just for the record, we had solar panels that heated our water as well). As one of our chores, my sister and I had to crush soda and beer cans in the garage (by crushing them we could fit more in that bag). And again, just for the record, we both hated this chore.

Over the years as I became an adult my recycling habits, I admit, have been sporadic. I will totally fess up and say that recycling totally depended on whether it was convenient for me (I know, bad excuse).

So just recently my apartment complex brought in dumpsters just for recycling. And this time around I am so much more aware of how much of my trash can actually be recycled. Pretty much almost any container, from the shampoo bottle to the cereal box. I'm recycling butter tubs, mayonnaise jars, soda bottles, anything that has the universal recycling symbol on it. Now for every bag of actually trash and I have two to three bags of recycled material. I am really amazed. And I think the fact that the recycle dumpster seem to almost aways be full my neighbors are recycling more as well.

So be aware and recycle.

2 comments:

  1. Good for you on recycling and your apt complex is smart to accommodate it.

    I am surprised here in STL how kinda wishy-washy everyone is about it.
    Geez, in NY, you'd better sort and recycle OR they won't pick it up AND they will fine you. (OK, that's a bit extreme, but people recycle there!)

    We're pretty good here in the house; R even washes things out first. He's very exacting. I might be a little more blithe about that, actually.

    So, what about the use of paper, particularly at the office? how's that going where you are?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Recycling in the office is big as well. Have general bin in the kitchen and separate bin for soda cans with boxes for paper throughout.

    ReplyDelete