Tuesday, March 8, 2011

On Pins and Needles

Yes, that is my arm. Today was my second appointment with an acupuncturist. Sorry it's not a better photo but I realized you really shouldn't move too much once the pins/needles are in you cause it tends to hurt.

Anyway, 2010 was a year of medicine and minor medical procedures that had either no success or very limited success. So before the next step (which is probably surgery) I decided to start 2o11 by trying things that might be unconventional, like getting acupuncture.

Before last week I had never been to an acupuncturist before. I ask my doctor and PT if they thought it would work for my problem and got mixed responses. It's not that I didn't believe in this stuff but I never felt a need for it and to be honest common sense kept telling me that it just isn't right to purposely stick needles in you. But after last year I decided to give it a try, if it worked, great, if it didn't, at least I tried.

I was a little apprehensive at the first visit. A friend had told me of her experience but I was still nervous. It turned out to be really nothing. The needles (or pins?) are very thin and flexible. I didn't feel them going in at all. After they were in (about 17 of them in my feet, legs, hands, arms, neck and ear) I just had to lay there for 20 minutes and then they were taken out. I didn't really notice a difference after that first visit and it was hard to tell if I felt better after today's.

So I'm going back again next week. I'm feeling hopeful thought.

1 comment:

  1. I am wishing you the best with the pins and needles. Have heard really good results so give it a chance.

    ReplyDelete