Friday, January 29, 2010

Not an Urban Legend

Yesterday I was talking with a co-worker about having to get a prescription for Ambien because I'm taking another drug that causes insomnia. My co-worker said she heard that Ambien itself can cause weird side effect, like getting up in the middle of the night and frying up a hamburger and onions without even knowing it. I said I'd never heard that before and she said it was probably an urban ledge.

So after work yesterday I went to the pharmacy to pick up my many prescriptions, including Ambien. I got Zolpidem (which I guess is the same as Ambien or the generic version) and inside my bag with the bottle of pills was a sheet of paper that was a medication guide for Zolpidem. Here is what the very first thing read:

What is the most important information I should know about Zolpidem?

After taking Zolpidem, you may get up out of bed while not being fully awake and do an activity that you do not know you are doing. The next morning, you may not remember that you did anything during the night. You have a higher chance for doing these activities if you drink alcohol or take any medicines that make you sleepy with Zolpidem. Reported activities include:

* driving a car ("sleep-driving")
* making and eating food
* talking on the phone
* having sex
* sleep walking

Call your doctor right away if you find out that you have done any of the above activities after taking Zolpidem.

Well now!!! I don't remember seeing this list the last time I was prescribed Ambien. I did take a pill last night and this morning my car was parked where I left it, my kitchen looked the same (no dirty dishes or the smell of onions), my phone was where I left it (no outgoing calls), DEFINITELY did not have sex (especially since it was just me in the ben and it has been such a long time, I would have remember, rights?) but I'm not sure about the sleep walking (I did get up a 5 a.m. to go to the bathroom but I did remember that). Of course I didn't drink anything alcoholic when I came home from work. Guess I can't drink those bottles of Smirnoff Ice in the fridge for the next couple of weeks.

But if anyone gets any middle-of-the-night calls from me in the next three weeks, I'm sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment